Followers

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A five year olds broken heart.

I really didn’t think I’d have to console a broken heart for at least 11 more years.

Today I had to tell my 5 year old that her best friend, our neighbor is moving away. And not across the city. Across the country! First she cried. Then she snuggled up to me and said in the saddest little voice ever..”well, can we still play together?” “No honey, I’m sorry you can’t. But you can write letters and talk on the phone” “But why does she have to move, Mommy? I will miss her so much”

My heart aches for her. This is her very first best friend, not to mention that they live literally next door. There are no other children in our neighborhood, except a few boys that are little older.

When she asked again, why they were moving I just told her that I wasn’t really sure and that her mommy and daddy decided to move. That all of her life things will be changing and there isn’t too much we can do to stop it.  She had to sign a birthday card for her friend and she drew a picture of them playing together with flowers and a butterfly that said “I love you laura”

I know her heart is broken tonight, but so is mine.

3 comments:

  1. How hard for both of you. I remember when my childhood best friend moved away, and how it was, and I was older. What a great way you handled it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg thats so sad! Theres always that one girl that lives like behind you i guess. ._.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry :( We are going to face that next Friday, and I am trying to prepare Eli for it. It is hard, and unfortunately there is nothing we can do to mend their precious little hearts.

    ReplyDelete